New York is definitely a hub of entrepreneurship in the nation. If you’re currently developing ideas and plans of your own to make your mark on the fast-paced, ever-changing business world in America, you obviously want to gather as much information as possible regarding current business statistics, as well as commerce regulations that may impact your personal business journey. Launching a business is a highly customizable endeavor; however, there are so many options available it’s easy to feel overwhelmed.
Choosing a structure for your business is no doubt one of your highest priorities during the start-up phase. Many new business owners choose the limited liability company plan as their most viable option. If you think you want to set up shop as an LLC but are unsure how to go about it, there are several key issues to consider and steps you can follow to simplify the process.
Be certain it’s a good fit for your business
As you bring your business dreams to fruition, it’s crucial to weigh the pros and cons of each structure option to determine whether a particular format is right for you. The following list includes some of the benefits business owners often say have led them to choose LLCs:
- Tax flexibility: Members of an LLC typically get to choose how they want to pay taxes, which is one of the major draws for this type of business structure.
- Liability protection: LLC members often enjoy legal protection from personal responsibility for company debt, which is generally not a protection available in a sole proprietorship.
- Simple to file: Many business owners choose LLC options because there is typically less paperwork involved as opposed to C-corporations or other structure options.
What works for one business owner, however, may not be right for you. If you know from the start where to turn for guidance and support, you will likely increase your chances of success.
Basic steps to setting up an LLC
Once you decide to file your business as an LLC, you’ll obviously have to adhere to current business regulations. The steps you take to become an LLC will undoubtedly include one or more of the following:
- Choose a state: Your business need not physically exist in the state you choose to file an LLC, but it may save you money to file in the same state where you will operate your business.
- Name your business: All LLCs typically include those three letters after their names; however, you need to choose a business title that isn’t already registered in your chosen state.
- File Articles and Operations documents: Once you have filed your Articles of Organization and have created an Operating Agreement, you’re halfway home to becoming an official LLC.
There are various fees involved in the process, along with other vital steps to take before you begin operations, and you might avoid stress and potential delays if you research such details ahead of time. Whether you live in the United States or are conducting business in Brazil (or some other location abroad), you may be able to prevent disruption to your plans and swiftly overcome any obstacles that arise if you keep a list of business support contacts on hand.